Direct Support Professional, Supported Living Services
Job Title: Direct Support Professional (DSP)
Program: Supported Living Services (SLS)
Reports to: Program Supervisor
Work Location(s): Solano County, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda County, CA
Employment Status: Full Time, Part – Time Non-Exempt
Pay Rage: $15.50 to $19.00 per hour (Based on Program Location and Experience)
Under direction from the Program Supervisor, the Direct Support Professional (DSP) provides Supported Living Services (SLS) to individuals with developmental disabilities who live in their own homes. DSPs provide one-to-one support in their client’s homes or out in the community.
This role requires a high level of Empathy, Integrity and Problem Solving. This role often requires working one-on-one with clients in their own home or in the community. DSPs must be trusted to work independently and work well with others when a team setting.
We are looking for people who are mission driven and who care about supporting people in need. We are looking for people who enjoy working with people with developmental disabilities and who are interested in teaching and role modeling a positive lifestyle. Candidate’s availability and flexibility to work when needed is a plus
We are also looking for candidates interested in working with people with complex service needs. This may include working with:
- Individuals with intense behavioral challenges.
- Individuals with forensic involvement.
- Individuals with a mental health diagnosis.
- Individuals struggling with substance use issues.
- Individuals who were unsuccessful in other living arrangements due to behaviors or forensic.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct support and supervision to clients who may have complex service needs (e.g., History of criminal justice involvement, behavioral challenges, or mental health conditions).
- Provide in-home support to clients who live independently in their own homes.
- Support clients with Service Plan which may include: shopping, budgeting, safety awareness, community access, positive relationship building, physical fitness, positive recreation, conflict resolution, anger management, coping skills, resisting peer pressure and maintaining a clean and healthy home environment;
- Address basic care needs of clients including but not limited to the following: medical, nutritional, hygienic, activities of daily living (ADL’s), social, recreational, personal management, transportation, meal preparations, etc. personal hygiene needs may require exposure to bodily fluids (feces, urine, blood etc.).
- Basic household needs including but not limited to the following: custodial, maintenance, schedules and routines, record keeping, documentation, etc.
- Responsibility for the health and safety of individual supported.
- Maintain client confidentiality. Follow reporting procedures regarding denial of rights and special incident reports.
- Communicate with other program staff regarding any changes in regulations, policies and procedures and general information pertaining to the program.
- Assist client with coordination of medical services, nutrition, personal hygienic and meal preparations. Coordination of client’s personal hygiene needs may require exposure to bodily fluids (feces, urine, blood etc.).
- Assist client with household management needs including but not limited to the following: regular upkeep and maintenance, paying bills, developing schedules and routines, record keeping, and documentation.
- Monitor client progress towards Individual Service Plan (ISP) objectives by maintaining and submitting weekly progress notes.
- Facilitate the full inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the recreation, volunteer, and employments sites of their choosing.
- Create and use natural supports and support client in a person-centered manner.
- Teach community awareness to clients while they access their community via public transportation and travel training.
- Promote full engagement of each client in each activity.
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities and resolve issues if necessary.
- Attend required training and staff meetings.
- Adhere to and all Omelagah, Inc. policies, procedures and program rules.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must pass fingerprint background check (Child Abuse Index, Criminal Record Clearance).
- Experience supporting individuals with disabilities (Preferred)
- Ability to work independently and display good independent judgment.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Possess a valid California state driver’s license.
- Recent, clean TB test and health screening (within one year).
- First Aid/CPR certification required (within 2 weeks).
- Clean DMV printout and proof of auto insurance.
- Strong time management skills, patient and detailed oriented.
- Ability to utilize critical thinking skills in decision-making situations.
- Excellent oral communication skills; and fluent report writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with clients, parents, social workers, fellow workers, and others in a positive and constructive manner.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including nights and weekends to meet client needs.
Benefits Available to Employees:
- Vacation and Sick Time
- Paid company holidays
- Health insurance for medical and vision coverage and dental coverage
- Recognition and incentive programs
About the Company:
Omelagah, Inc. is a family-owned disability services company, dedicated to providing high quality support services for adults with developmental disabilities in Northern California.
We support individuals with complex service needs (e.g., forensic, mental health, and behavioral), succeed in their home communities instead of institutional settings. We are best known for successfully supporting individuals with developmental disabilities with a history of forensic involvement. We strive to improve the lives of the people we support, through the implementation of person-centered practices in community-based programs. For more information, please visit us at www.omelagah.com
Apply online: Omelagah Inc. Online Application